Performancing Metrics

Scott's Golf Blog: What was your best golf shot ever?

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

What was your best golf shot ever?

Ok folk, I thought I would try to get a little participation to my blog, so all of your comments are welcome! I want to hear about your best golf shot in your entire golf career. Here's mine...

I was 18 at the time, so this is a long, long time ago! I was playing in one of the local better ball of partners tournaments, which dominate the competitive golf scene in the Southcentral Pennsylvania region. There were not many individual tournaments with sizable fields, so these were the tournaments most of the best players competed in.

Heading into the final round at my home course, Carlisle Country Club, my partner and I were tied for the lead with the two best players in the area, who were 20 and 30 years older. These guys had won every local tournament several times over, and were always regarded as the team to beat as they paired so well together.

My partner and I got off to a bad start, and ultimately we found ourselves down by 3 with two holes to play. The 17th was a short par 3, and my partner knocked in a bomb from about 30 feet for birdie to cut the lead to two. The last hole was a 550 yard par 5. In those days, since we were still using persimmon drivers and balata cover balls, the only time you reached that green in two shots was if the weather was somewhat dry and you had the wind at your back.

On this day, however, the hole was into a slight wind. I hit a solid tee shot about 280 to 285 yards, and found myself in the fairway, with a slight uphill lie. Knowing that we needed a 3 to have a chance, and there was little trouble in front of the green, I pulled out the driver again. About 50 yards short of the green is a fairway bunker, and after that, a modest downslope to the green. I hit the ball absolutely perfect, and dead straight. I have no idea where the ball actually landed, but it ended up rolling up on the green and finished pin high, to the right of the flag. Under the circumstances, this is clearly the best shot I have ever hit in my life. I don't see how I could top it, until I actually knock one in from 270 yards under the same circumstances.

So, I had a 25 foot, right to left curler for eagle. I was shaking as I had rarely been in position to win anything of note up to that point in my career (I missed a 4 footer to win the PA State high school championship about 9 months prior). Somehow I managed to hit the putt solidly, and it curled into the right lip for an eagle 3. The crowd went wild, and that is one of the best moments I have ever had in the game.

Unfortunately, one of my two nemeses proceeded to knock in a 15 foot, downhill slider right on top of me for birdie, so we lost the tournament by one. Still, it is a great memory!

Ok, tell me your story!

Scott Cole
www.scottcolegolf.com
www.onlinegolfswingcoach.com

No comments: