Performancing Metrics

Scott's Golf Blog: Golf Tip

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Golf Tip

I would say that 90% of the students who come to me for a lesson have a lousy grip. Now, in some instances, I may not change that grip. For example, if a student is slicing every shot, but has a strong grip, I won't change the grip. As Hank Haney would say, "they have more slice in their swing than hook in their grip." So, I won't change the grip until they are hooking the ball.

For many students though, I just wonder who they were watching before they put their hands on the club. When I see a student with a horrible grip, I will demonstrate that grip to them, then ask one question..."Have you ever seen a player on the PGA Tour hold the club this way?" That's a rhetorical question of course. While some tour players, such as Fred Couples, do not have the nicest looking grip in the world, their grips are still way better than most golfers.

So ask yourself this question next time you are watching some golf on TV..."does my grip look like that?" Well, I will make it easier for you...just go to this page to see a good grip!

The moral to this story is this...the greatest golfers on the planet play on the PGA and European tours. To improve our own game, shouldn't we try to imitate them? While we may not be able to swing the club like them because of physical limitations, chances are we can at least hold onto the club like them, and stand up to the ball like them.

If Tiger Woods is always trying to improve his swing, don't you think you might want to improve on some things as well in order to get better? While I may not agree with what he may be trying to work on now, at least he is still striving to get better!

As the golf season here in Maryland begins to wind down, we still can have all winter long to work on the fundamentals, and the most basic fundamentals are grip and set up. Get to it and I guarantee you will be a better golfer next year as a result!

Scott Cole
www.onlinegolfswingcoach.com
www.powergolftraining.net

No comments: