Performancing Metrics

Scott's Golf Blog: Golf Tip of the Day - Stay Within Yourself

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Golf Tip of the Day - Stay Within Yourself

I've been known as a fairly long hitter, and been guilty of letting that go to my head. I've often found myself more concerned with trying to add more and more length off the tee, rather than focused on other areas of my game. At some point you just have to accept that more distance will come at a cost.

My focus this year is to simply develop the rest of my overall game. I have more than adequate length off the tee, so now it's time to check the ego at the door and focus on accuracy and short game.

Watching the first PGA Tour event of the season this week in Hawaii suggests that while distance is a great thing to have, those that have it tend not to develop the rest of their games very well. There are some big boomers on the leaderboard, but also among them are Jim Furyk and Steve Stricker, two of the deadliest with their wedges.

So that is the basic theme of this post. Don't get so caught up in trying to add more distance off the tee. Chances are, you will hit the ball worse due to less consistent contact. Instead, stay within yourself, and focus on improving other areas of your game. Learn to be more accurate within 100 yards, become a better chipper and putter, and your scores will come down far more quickly.

Scott Cole
www.howtgolfyourbest.com

No comments: