Performancing Metrics

Scott's Golf Blog: Golf Tip of the Day - Plan for Environment

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Golf Tip of the Day - Plan for Environment

This particular post is geared mainly toward golfers who play a little competition now and then. If you play competitive golf, then there will be days where the weather is not so nice, but you still have to play. With that in mind, it's a good idea to be prepared.

When I was a sophomore in high school, I won my conference championship. The following week, we were playing the district championship on the same course. The district tournament at the time was 36 holes played in one day. Since I was conference champion, I was paired with other conference champions in the district. One these was Emlyn Aubrey, who played some on the PGA Tour. Another is noted long drive, trick shot artist and instructor, Ben Witter.

On that day, it rained buckets. I was unprepared. My golf bag was a small nylon carry bag. My grips were wet immediately, as were my towels. As my swing is a little handsy, I had trouble holding onto the club. I shot 51 for 9 holes and walked off the course.

Emlyn Aubrey went on to win the tournament with a pair of 72s. Obviously, he was just a better player, but he was also prepared. Fast forward two years later to the PA state championships where under cold and wet conditions, I finished 2nd, losing in a playoff to future PGA Tour player Ted Tryba. I was carrying a similar bag, but I had covered most of it with some sort of plastic. It kept everything dry and I had no issues.

The moral to this story is that you have to learn to play in lousy weather if you compete at all. Even if you are just playing in the 4th flight of your club championship, you need to experience playing in rain, wind and cold. With that in mind, when the weather is bad and you planned to play that day, go ahead, if the course is still open. You will learn to be a little more patient and learn how to deal with various conditions.

Scott Cole
www.howtogolfyourbest.com

No comments: