Performancing Metrics

Scott's Golf Blog: A different Golf Exercise

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

A different Golf Exercise

Recently, I have been spending more time in the gym lifting some heavier weights, looking mainly to regain some strength I seem to have lost in the last two years due to focusing more on getting a bit leaner. While I was not as successful as I wanted to be in that goal (food is my enemy!), I did seem to improve my cardio health.

One thing I have realized over time is that it's definitely a good idea to break up your exercise routine from time to time. I have been lifting hard for a few weeks, and definitely have made some gains. However, the body will have a tendency to adjust itself to these workouts, making it harder to achieve gains going forward.

This past week, a neighbor of mine decided to cut a tree down and I asked if I could have the wood, and he agreed. So, for a total of about 3 1/2 hours over a couple days time, I chopped wood, loaded it into a wheel barrow, and pushed it up a hill, and then back down that hill before dumping into a wood pile. You want to talk about a total body workout! Well, probably the only muscle group that did not get worked was my triceps. Otherwise, chopping the wood worked most of my upper body, while hauling the wood in the wheel barrow worked my arms, shoulders, core and legs.

Since I was getting such a good workout simply by doing this chore, I didn't see the need to hit the weights, or do any cardio. When the weekend was over, I felt great, and am ready to start pumping some iron again.

So, if you have the opportunity, go and chop and haul some wood just to break up your routine!

Scott Cole www.powergolftraining.net

No comments: