Performancing Metrics

Scott's Golf Blog: My Golf Game Continuing To Improve

Friday, June 25, 2010

My Golf Game Continuing To Improve

It has now been about 16 months since I attended my first Hank Haney Teaching the Teacher seminar, where I received a lesson from Hank himself. During that lesson, Hank worked on improving my posture, my takeaway, a better position at the top of my backswing, a better position in the downswing, and a better follow through. For many students, this would be quite a lot to work on, and admittedly, I often give students quite a bit of information during that first lesson. My thinking is that if I can do it, anyone can.

Improving your golf game is a process. Not all of the improvements will come at once. It is important to focus on one or two things at a time, and then when you have made improvement to them, work on the next couple of things. I feel that the student can progress much faster if they take notes as well.

Anyhow, after 16 months, I feel like I am getting very close to my best golf, even while I only play once or twice per month. I have learned so much about the golf swing and golf course management, that I don't need to play every day like I used to growing up in order to play well.

Today I played a nice golf course in Maryland, and played my best round since my lesson with Hank last year...an even par 72. While I did make two long putts, I did have several three putts and missed another short putt for birdie. I also had a couple unforced errors with wedges. This course is more difficult than most I usually play locally, so I feel pretty good about the score. If I were playing more regularly, there would not be as many three putts or missed greens with a wedge in my hand.

Last year when I went to Dallas to attend that seminar, I really had no clue with my golf game. Now, I realize that if I actually find more time to play and practice, I can probably be a better golfer than I have ever been.

I am writing this post because I think it is necessary for students to track their results and performance. If I can improve after one lesson with Hank, and some follow up feedback at this year's seminar from two of his senior instructors, Brian Mahon and Doug Alexander, then any student can improve. However, it requires time, patience, effort, and a willingness to make changes. If you have some of that going for you, the sky is the limit!

One final word...just like Ray Romano on the Haney Project, I find that many students think they will get worse before they get better following a lesson....that is utter nonsense. Get that out of your head. If you will do what your instructor tells you to do, assuming they are a good instructor, you should see improvement right away. But, you must keep an open mind. I started improving from Day One. You can too.

Scott Cole
www.powergolftraining.net
www.onlinegolfswingcoach.com

No comments: