Performancing Metrics

Scott's Golf Blog: Golfers, Learn Better Short Game Technique And Take Notes!

Monday, May 31, 2010

Golfers, Learn Better Short Game Technique And Take Notes!

I give quite a few golf lessons involving the short game. With most people, if they have been playing the game for a while, I watch them hit a few shots first. The first shot I watch them hit is where they are just a few feet off the edge of the green, maybe on the fringe or in the short rough, and they have about 40 to 50 feet of green to work with. In 90% of the cases, the student will pull out a sand wedge or pitching wedge and try to fly the ball halfway to the hole. They have trouble getting it within 15 feet.

I calmly step up and chip the shot with a 7 or 8 iron and with the first second ball, I am within 2 feet.

We have all this information out there regarding the golf game from the internet to the major magazines, to a tv channel devoted to the game, and yet most people show no improvement. Are they not paying attention?

Yes, there is an awful lot of information about the game to assimilate over time. So, my best advice to the golfer who wants to improve is to take notes!

I studied Pai Lum Kung Fu for 8 years, and I have a notebook that is three inches thick full of typewritten notes on all the forms, techniques and details how to perform each. Golf is similar in that there is a lot to learn. But, how can you improve if you don't remember the proper technique?

You see, if you want to make improvements, you have to take accountability! As a teacher, I can only bring the horse to water, but I can't make it drink!

From now on, take some notes, and when you go practice, take them with you! I guarantee you will start to see better results.

Scott Cole
www.onlinegolfswingcoach.com
www.powergolftraining.net

No comments: