Performancing Metrics

Scott's Golf Blog: Golf Swing and Fitness Tip - Weighted Club

Monday, October 19, 2009

Golf Swing and Fitness Tip - Weighted Club

Over time, I've done some experimenting with a variety of golf exercises and golf exercise equipment. One of the most effective tools I have found is the weighted club. However, my idea of the most effective use of the weighted club has nothing to do with getting more strength from swinging it, or using it to warm up before the round. Instead, I view it as an excellent tool for learning how to make a better golf swing.

Back in February, I had the opportunity to receive a personal golf lesson from Hank Haney while attending his teaching seminar at his Haney Golf Ranch near Dallas. During that lesson, he put me in a variety of positions throughout the golf swing so that I could get a feel for getting the club on a better swing plane.

During the season, I clearly made some good improvements to my swing, but I am still nowhere near where I want to be. Recently, I started working with the weighted club. The club I use is produced by Golf Gym, and it comes with a formed grip to teach you the proper grip fundamentals.

First I simply work on the takeaway. I swing the club into the takeaway position 5 or 10 times and then I move it to the top of the back swing. I put it in the position that Hank Haney wants me to have it. I do a full back swing 5 or 10 times, and then I work on the initial portion of the down swing. Then I work through the follow through. Finally, I swing the club slowly through the entire golf swing about 5 or 10 times.

What this does is provide the body and brain greater feedback for the positions you want to be in throughout the swing. Since there is some strain to keep the weighted club in place at the various positions in the swing, it provides stronger feedback. Then, when you grab a normal club, you are better able to swing it the way you want to.

I highly recommend use of this training tool throughout the season.

Scott Cole
http://www.powergolftraining.net

No comments: